Business requirements

SBA’s Business Guide lists the requirements needed to start, grow, and expand your business. Since laws and taxes vary by location, here’s what you need to do before starting your business in our area.

Business name and registration

Register your business name with the local government where your business is located. If you are a corporation, you will also need to register with the Department of State in Puerto Rico, or with the Department of Corporations and Trademarks in the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Business licensing and zoning

Licenses are typically administered by a variety of state and local departments. It is important to consider zoning regulations when choosing a site for your business. Contact the local business license office where you plan to locate your business. You may not be allowed to conduct business out of your home or engage in industrial activities in a retail business district.


Puerto Rico Taxpayer Assistance Center
48 Carr. 165, km. 1.2
Citi View Plaza, Torre II
Guaynabo, PR 00968
Phone: 787-522-8660

U.S. Virgin Islands Bureau of Internal Revenue
4008 Estate Diamond Plot 7-B
Christiansted, USVI 00820-4421
Phone: 340-773-1040

Health and safety

Puerto Rico Health Department
Centro Médico Norte
Calle Periferial Interior
Barrio Monacillos
San Juan, PR 00921
Phone: 787-765-2929

U.S. Virgin Islands Department of Health
Charles Harwood Complex 
3500 Est. Richmond
Christiansted, VI 00820
Phone: 340-718-1311

OSHA Puerto Rico
Edif. Prudencio Rivera Martínez
505 Ave. Muñoz Rivera, Piso 20
Hato Rey, PR 00919
Phone: 787-754-2172

U.S. Virgin Islands Department of Labor
4401 Sion Farm, Suite 1
Christiansted, VI 00820-4245
Phone: 340-773-1994 ext. 2101